Possible Fix for “The password is incorrect. Make sure you’re using the password for your microsoft account” Error in Windows 10
After updating Windows 10 with the latest security updates, I was greeted with the message “”The password is incorrect. Make sure you’re using the password for your Microsoft account”. I was sure the password was correct. I even went ahead and changed the password again, all with no luck.
Fixing the Issue
I checked the obvious:
- Clicked the ‘eye’ icon next to the password to make sure I was not using an international keyboard that would mess things up
- Checked numerous times that my password was correct by logging into account.live.com
And the not-so-obvious:
- Disabled 2-factor authentication
- Reset my password
All were futile in solving the issue. When I was about to give up, I rebooted the machine with no network access at all. The next time I logged in, Windows alerted me that my device was offline and that I had to use the last password I recalled on the machine:
And voilá, that did the trick (that password was and old one and was not working when I tried).
Preventing the Issue
An immediate action I did to prevent this in the future was to set up a logon pin for my Microsoft account:
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet and signed in with your Microsoft account
- Open the “Settings” app
- Click “Accounts” icon.
- Click “Sign-in options” on the left side
- Click “Add” button under “PIN”
- You will have to verify your account
- Follow the on-screen instructions