While listening to some playlists on my iPhone I noticed that some were greyed out. I would get the error “Item not Available: This item can’t be played”. This made no sense as I had listened to the song in iTunes and added to the playlist. It was from their library to begin with, surely the item could be played. I don’t know how to prevent this from happening again, but I figured out a way to fix it. It’s not pretty, it’s not easy, but it works.
I found most of these songs were in one of my favorite playlists. I deleted the song from the playlist, added again after searching for it in Apple Music. This only added the song again with status “Waiting”. Updating the iCloud Music Library did nothing as well.
Here is the only way I have found to deal with this annoying bug:
- Get info in the track, copy its name.
- When the track is selected, hit ‘option + delete’, it will warn you about deleting the song from your iCloud Music Library.
- Find the song in Apple Music (you have its name on the clipboard from step 1 above).
- Add the song to the playlist.
- Wait a couple of seconds and voila!